Thursday, March 30, 2006

Horticulture
















"You can lead a whore to culture but you cannot make her think."
Dorothy Parker

Ah! the beleaguered garden. It suffered last year, when my craft batching ran rampant through all the planting months.
Weeds went all the way to seed and this spring they are coming back in drifts or maybe I should say in 'batches' all their own.
I want to plant and plan but I don't quite remember just what I planted where and when it might reappear. I am fearful of beheading a sprouting bulb or an awakening perenial rootball by just digging around. So, I just tear up and pile up gardening articles instead. A humongous stack of well tended green beds, one after the other. I have used them create a book of my own.

I feel like going out to the garden and showing those pictures to the chaotic growth and leggy, winter beaten specimens..

"See?" I would say, tapping the page.. "More like this.. This is what I had in mind."

Perhaps they would all pull up root, stand up staighter and shuffle into reasonable groupings.
"Oh sorry.. We just had no idea what you were thinking."

" Well!" .. I would retort saucily.. "That is more like it! Now, don't you feel better? And I can see where to put the annuals."

Or maybe I just better put aside some weekend. More weeding.. Less reading.

3 comments:

laura capello said...

Yes! And at the same time we could tell the lawn to stop invading already, and grow slower. Geesh!

Anonymous said...

Dorothy is my homegirl! I LOVE her!
And gardening, if it were a person, would be my homegirl too.

Unknown said...

What a great quote!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...