Saturday, March 10, 2007
New Vintage # 2: The Sleeveless Over- Blouse
Here is Pattern # 2
Made from a discontinued Freespirit paisely..off the 40% off table a Beverly's. When you are doing your first projects with a new pattern.. It never hurts to test it on the cheap stuff.
I had to modify this one quite a bit.
The trick with these vintage patterns, especially anything that is fitted like this, is how you
do the fittings.
Remember: Basting and pinning are your friends.
When I first tried this on ( semi finished) I was less than thrilled.
It was too loose, like a cotton box.
I liked the way the fabric extended on the shoulders so left those alone,
but the rest was not the modish house wife chic I was a-lookin' for.
However, it was early in the game so I took it off,
put it back on inside out and pinned at the front and side seams, until the fabric was more under control.
Then I VERY Carefully (it is full o' pins, on the inside!) turned it right side out and retried.
Hope! Excitement renewed! It looks better!!!
Back to the machine, seam seam seam. ( another try on.. mucho improved..) Then clipping seams, pressing them in, finishing the hems and seams, More Obsessive Pressing and Voila! Blouse Joy.
( In the bad light and underwear situation I was in, I did not feel compelled to take pics. Now I am sorry. But not that sorry.)
( I promise a fitting tutorial Very Soon.)
One last shot: fully accessorised....
We have other people who are doing this project too! Angelina is rocking the vintage pattern photos and getting herself ready to play. Michelle showed me her future project and has already made the CUTEST skirts. The Lovely Violette Crumble has a whole wardrobe in the planning stages..
So I started a Flickr Group.
New Vintage Wardrobe!
Hey! Come play with us!