Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tutorial Tuesday: Felt Pom Flower and Cashmere Headband


yes.. same picture as Friday.. but with a tutorial after...



First the tutorial for the flower. I made a few into a cute garland.. because I love them.




These are fast fun and easy. I think they are cute as an ornament as well.

Cut a strip of felt.. Mine are about 3.5 x 12. I like a light bodied felt for this project.

Then cut into the felt like you are making a fringe, Make each cut 1.5 inches deep and about a quarter to half an inch wide.




Do this the whole 12 inch length of the strip, then turn it and do the same on the other side..
( if your scissors are nice and sharp, you can fold it in half and the process goes even faster.)

Now lay it out flat and roll it up length wise.




Tie around the center with thread or embroidery floss. Wrap it a few times and tie a nice hard knot.




Fluff it up. Use a 'pull and twist' motion if you get petal clumps.

Use your scissors to shape the ball. Cut deeper into the center to free up some of the 'petals' if you need to and trim the off any shaggy looking ends.



There you go.

Cashmere Headband:

The first one I made was from the turtleneck part which made it super simple.

I just cut it twice as wide as I wanted my finished head band.

Then I folded it so that the seam would run on the inside of the head band with the edges just over lapping. I sewed it together with a slip stitch... like you would use for a hem.



Make sure you don't pull your threads too tight. You need the headband to be stretchy.

I made another from the body of the sweater.

The process was a bit different. I cut a strip from the sweater; again I made it a bit wider than twice as wide as I wanted the headband to be.
I folded it in half with the right sides facing and I sewed a seam down the edges, pulling on the sweater so it was stretched and using the stretch stitch setting on my machine.

I then turned the tube inside out




and hand stitched the ends together starting from the inside to hide the stitches better, keeping the long seam on the inside of the headband.




Try it on and place the decoration where you like it in the mirror, then hand stitch in place. I stitched the fulled sweater leaves in place with a center seam only to give them a 3-D look.



it is so fast and simple..

Happy crafting.

PS: In case you never saw it there is a tutorial from last holiday season in keeping with my passion for pom poms.

15 comments:

Claire said...

Fabulous! I am putting this on the HP blog, too.

Maddie Kertay- The Domestic Anarchist said...

This tut might be the only thing that redeems the fact that one of our kittens is a *wool-nurser* and sucked many many holes in two of my husband cashmere sweaters. I can't wait to give it a try!

Maddie @ Domestic Anarchy

Anonymous said...

Love the garland, too!
Thanks for the tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Yeah for Pom poms! Thank you for the great instuctions.

Anonymous said...

I love the headband, but I think I'll be making my pom-pom snowman soon!

Tip Junkie said...

It's beautiful!! Thanks for the tutorial.

Anonymous said...

I think that is the cutest headband I have ever seen! Serious! And thanks for the tutorial, that's awesome. AND thanks for visiting my blog, too!
~Angela :-)

jess said...

Looks like we're now making felt flowers this weekend, thanks!

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to find something creative to do with my ginormous felt stash!! Thank you so very much for being so generous and sharing this tutorial!
~Heather

headbands said...

Great Tutorial. Thanks for sharing! Makes me want to try it!

Dagny said...

Lovely! This is a fantastic way to make felt flowers.. ♥♥

日月神教-向左使 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
International Flower Delivery said...

what a nice creation of you.

Jeans Manufacturers said...

Nice tut, One of best creation of yours.

Allindiawatches.com said...

7. Great information on this blog!! Thanks for posting in this article really helpful. Buy First Copy Watches Online India Diamond Rolex Replica Watches

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...