Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Art and Fashion In the Big City


1. We Are the Art, 2. Pouting with the Graffiti, 3. Haight Street Hipster, 4. Big Scary Leaf, 5. Gratutious Tea Garden Shot, 6. Cup of Coffee As Big As My Face, 7. "This is My Favorite.", 8. tea cooling, 9. Japanese Tea garden, 10. Canvas Gallery Upshot, 11. "This a cool painting. I want to paint like this.", 12. dwarfed by art, 13. View from the tower

Got to go to San Francisco for a bit of Cultural enlightenment over spring break with my charming and goofy fashion photographer and son, Jacob.

We went to the Golden Gate park and surrounding neighborhoods for a glorious day of art and food and lovely gardens.
We saw the Vivienne Westwood exhibit at the DeYoung Museum and then spent time in its permanent collection galleries. I had not been to the new DeYoung and although I tend to be Nostalgic for the old I thoroughly enjoyed their new space. Perhaps it was my charming company. This was the first trip to a museum with Jacob where we moved at a similar pace. There was an exception with the Fashion exhibit, where I could have taken up all day residence, but that is my personal hang up and no reflection on his ability to appreciate it for what it is. He actually came home inspired by it to do some action figure fashion designing of his own… based on her earlier collaborations with the punk and new wave godfather Malcolm McLauren.

If you like the idea of Fashion as Theatre and grew up in the 70’s and 80’s I really recommend the exhibit.. I loved the evolution of her designs and the obvious gain of tailoring skills and the way she was referential and irreverent throughout her career. I want to get the book. I stopped myself but I am still thinking about it.

After a few hours at the museum, where Jake showed a sophisticated appreciation for the more modern pieces, we went to the Canvas Gallery on 9th for chocolate cake and caffeine. We giggled, spilled and took pictures and then headed into the Strybing Arboreum to check out the plants and re-inact a few scenes from Monty Python and The Holy Grail. We galloped on over to the Japanese Tea Garden and enjoyed the beauty but agreed it was way too crowded to get your zen on.

Then off to Haight Street for a fast shop at Kid Robot ( Purchased a gorillaz action figure for Jakes collection) and a few vintage clothing stores where we bought.. Nothing.

Why Nothing?

Because I am a proud member of the Wardrobe Refahionistas, as of this month. I took the 4 month pledge. And no one had the cheap used crinoline I was longing for.


THE PLEDGE
I, Bitter Betty, pledge that I shall abstain from the purchase of "new" manufactured items of clothing, for the period of 4 months. I pledge that i shall refashion, renovate, recycle preloved items for myself with my own hands in fabric, yarn or other medium for the term of my contract. I pledge that I will share the love and post a photo of my refashioned, renovoated, recycled, crafted or created item of clothing on the Wardrobe Refashion blog, so that others may share the joy that thy thriftyness brings! Signed Bitter Betty

4 comments:

Sonya said...

You want a crinoline? I have one from a wedding dress that is yours. It is long but the waist is tiny (I mean ti. nee)I intended to refashion it, but you know, when is that ever going to happen?

Sonya said...

I don't mean I stole the crinoline out of your wedding dress (wipe that look of horror off your face) I mean it is your for the having.

Anonymous said...

Vivienne Westwood.

sigh.

Times like this I truly curse the tyranny of distance.

Oh. And I admire the pledge.

carolyn said...

Wasn't the Wsetwood exhibit a scream? I was inspired. I love to see how her fashioning evolved and now I look forward to seeing how your renewed fashions go.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...