Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day: Fight Poverty With Pennies


Everyone is thinking a little more about poverty in a more personal way these days.. What with the constant railing on about the global economic crisis and all. Ironically, it will be likely that charities will be hardest hit.
There have been times in my childhood and young adult hood where I was, indeed, below the "poverty line" but truly, I have always had much more than many. Always a roof (occasionally in a dangerous neighborhood), always some food (I'm glad I like potatoes) and always a few leftover pennies.

I am inclined to think that, even with budgets tightening, there is an opportunity to be fully aware of what we have, by giving some away.

In every budget there is some spare change that could be gathered to give the gift of a goat, a flock of chickens, or even a llama, which could really make a huge difference to an entire family.

It might be the richest you've ever felt.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome! I love Heifer Int. :D

Dee Light said...

Great thoughts!! Thanks.

Sonya said...

I'm so out of it, completely missed this boat. Great post.

Anonymous said...

What great advice. I have recently started a penny jar as I am sick of finding loose change everywhere, the warning to hubby is if I find it it goes in the penny jar! I think I will use it towards something worthwhile too now, it can be our "charity jar"!

Natalie said...

Beautifully said.
It is definitely a time to be aware of our resources and the ways we can can connect and support the community around us.

Mimi-n-Moe's Mom said...

We do this every year! It is so wonderful! Thanks for suggesting it! The great thing about Heifer is that it is giving people the resources they need to be self sustainable. That is an amazing gift. And you don't have to have big bucks to make a difference!

Des said...

I love this post!! Have you read, "3 cups of Tea"?? Greg Mortenson and David Relin.
Penniesforpeace.org

Marvelous organization!
I also love the Heifer Foundation!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

I jsut got my catalog from Heifer. It really is surprising how inexpensive it is to purchase some chickens for someone.....makes such a BIG difference in their life. Great post.

Anonymous said...

Inspiring!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...