Here it is.... the first from my mind blowing new stash of gorgeous patterns!
Butterick 5814 Misses Cover-up .
I rendered mine is a beautiful handkerchief weight Egyptian cotton.
I had a vision to combine 2 trends from the last couple of summers,
the tunic and the tuxedo (or ruffles) which worked really well, since I didn't need to buy any additional braid or anything for embellishment.
I ended up having to do some pretty extensive alterations to make it fit well, including a couple of long deep back darts.
But I really like the way it hangs much better now.
I do actually wear this as a cover up over my bathing suit..but this isn't that kind of blog... and I like that it is versatile too, so we feature it here as option b.
The ruffles were made seperately, pinked, stitched to prevent ravel and pleated using a ruffler foot attachment. Then I pinned them in place and stitched over the top holding the facings out of the way.
I could have hemmed the ruffle or made little tubes but I wanted the tunic to feel very casual light and breezy and I was running short on materials!
The seams were all finished using the flat felled method.
I love this one. the sleeves are the length I wanted. I feel pretty and comfortable in it and I an thinking of making another that is more tailored out of a light linen with some embroidery.
Sorry to disappoint those of you who thought that maybe I would make something wildly "Mrs, Roper-ish". that would have been fun too.. but my closet has limits and so do I!