Friday, June 19, 2009

Fashion Friday: New Vintage Wardrobe Project #22 The Tuxedo Tunic

Here it is.... the first from my mind blowing new stash of gorgeous patterns!


Butterick 5814 Misses Cover-up .
I rendered mine is a beautiful handkerchief weight Egyptian cotton.
I had a vision to combine 2 trends from the last couple of summers,




the tunic and the tuxedo (or ruffles) which worked really well, since I didn't need to buy any additional braid or anything for embellishment.



I ended up having to do some pretty extensive alterations to make it fit well, including a couple of long deep back darts.



But I really like the way it hangs much better now.

I do actually wear this as a cover up over my bathing suit..but this isn't that kind of blog... and I like that it is versatile too, so we feature it here as option b.

The ruffles were made seperately, pinked, stitched to prevent ravel and pleated using a ruffler foot attachment. Then I pinned them in place and stitched over the top holding the facings out of the way.



I could have hemmed the ruffle or made little tubes but I wanted the tunic to feel very casual light and breezy and I was running short on materials!

The seams were all finished using the flat felled method.


I love this one. the sleeves are the length I wanted. I feel pretty and comfortable in it and I an thinking of making another that is more tailored out of a light linen with some embroidery.

Sorry to disappoint those of you who thought that maybe I would make something wildly "Mrs, Roper-ish". that would have been fun too.. but my closet has limits and so do I!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

i need you to teach me hwo to sew :P

Unknown said...

Too cool for school!
I have a ruffler foot and it gives me fits. I wish I could figure the darn thing out because I have a ton of ideas using it (plus it cost a pretty penny, and so far all it does is make my machine look like you have to be a Mensa member to use it). Faboo pictures, BTW. You look very pretty =0)

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

This looks so cool and comfortable! Very nice!
Hugs,
Kerry

futuregirl said...

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to restrain yourself from going overboard, which would be so easy with this pattern and it's envelope inspiration. Your all-white, ruffly take on this pattern is the perfect mix of restrain and luxury. Beautiful!

Green Kitchen said...

Nice ruffles!

Julie H said...

It looks really great, I love the ruffles.

Heidi Ann said...

That is a beautiful blouse, Bethany. I love seeing the clothing you create.

Becky said...

Totally cool - style-wise and temperature-wise!

Jenifir said...

Beautiful cover-up/tunic. Love the application of ruffles and use of foot. I look forward to seeing those lines (with alterations) in linen. I have purchased a similar pattern and hope to get to sewing for me soon!

Gwen said...

Incredible! I know I had that pattern in the 70's, and it was a very boxy fit, I love the idea of back darts! It looks great on you! I also did embroidery on these, and loved them--just remembering how impossibly boxy the fit was, though!

I was never brave enough to alter patterns back then, though.

kirsten schueler said...

love it!! i love that tunics are always in style

PĂ©itseoga said...

i like it! especially the ruffles!

ambika said...

This is *so* gorgeous. & it's just so funny to me, browsing these vintage patterns, how contemporary the style's still are. Especially this--I could see it in *any* catalog.

criticpapa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Overcoat said...

Whoa.. impressive post! keep it up, you will be soon get famous about this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...