Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tutorial Tuesday: Peek-A-Boo Rick-Rack trim


Here is a tutorial I whipped up while I was making some fresh curtains for my newly repainted kitchen.


Peek A Boo Rick Rack Trim:


This trim is a joining style trim. I used it to join panels for a kitchen valance but it would be really cute joining a contrasting hem on a skirt or the top and bottom of a cute sundress, or on the edges of a tablecloth.



You will need fabric and rick-rack enough for your project, an iron and a threaded sewing machine. Top stitching needle and quilting thread are prefferable but not required.

1)Iron in a double folded hem that is a quarter inch wide on the edge of the materials you want to attach with the ric-rack.


2) Use a small stitch to attach the tips of the points of the rick rack to the outside edge of your hem. This is difficult to pin, so I set my machine to a slower speed and used the pinch and pray* method. (*where you adjust as you go with your fingers and hope it all works out.)

3) Next, I flipped it over and top stitched the other side of the hem using the foot and the stitchline from the rick rack seam as my guide

4) Then I repeated the process, attaching the second piece of fabric to the other tips of the rick rack points
5) And then top stitching the other folded hem edge.

All other heming and construcion was completed after I finished this process. Take your time, and it is as easy as pie.

I do hope someone finds this cute and useful. Let me know if you try it! I'd love to see some more projects!

Stitch on Sisters and Brothers!,
Betty

25 comments:

Shelley Noble said...

Completely 100% patented Bitter Betty incredible. Couldn't be more adorable.

Maria Stahl said...

I have been thinking of doing something like this for our back porch curtains, only horizontally (basically the contrast hem idea you mentioned). Haven't started. I'll consider your method but I have a feeling I'm not coordinated enough! I was thinking about stitching my rickrack in wrong-sides-together fashion on one piece of fabric, then folding it on the stitching line and pressing in order to be sure I'm getting the scallops evenly stitched in. I'll tell you how (or if) it works out. :o)

WV: Roppin. It's a western dance done with a lariat.

Maria Stahl said...

Sorry, make that right-sides-together fashion. (See? I can't even write it down. What makes me think I can actually do it?)

wf: mendjusi. It's a refreshing drink served and mehndi parties.

Elizabeth said...

Absolutely adorable and I can't wait to try it on something!

PamKittyMorning said...

I love it!

White Feather said...

Fantastic idea and very clear directions. Curtains a very bright and cheerful....how did you have time to slip that in with your two-gifts-a-week requirement? LOL!

Unknown said...

Very cool idea. I need to do something with the curtains in the master bath. This could be just the thing!

MissesStitches said...

Very cute curtains, and your kitchen is lovely. What a great idea!

kelley hart said...

What a cute idea! Especially since I am a rick rack addict! There are worse things.

pregnancy said...

very nice idea and fantastic job, hope you don't mind if i follow yours :)thanks a lot

Luthien said...

ooh...This is absolutely adorable!
Your kitchen it's lovely.
Hugs from north of Italy!
by: pregnant Fairy mom ^w^
Lùthien

Anonymous said...

Not only does this really dress up a kitchen, it's also extremely practical when dealing with direct sunlight, but you can't have long curtains that blow into your stove coils or get splashed by your dishwashing!

JenniferB said...

I can't wait to try it on a skirt for my little daughter -- great idea!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Betty, for sharing your idea & oh-so-clear directions! I love rickrack. Will definitely use your idea!

Divine Bird said...

What a fab idea! I found this via Craftzine's link--I will definitely be trying this! Thank you for the inspiration & tutorial. :)

Kim said...

Ooooh, can't wait to try this on a skirt soon! Thanks so much for the idea!

JoAnn Freda said...

I love these adorable curtains and they are just the right style for my kitchen too. My mom was a great seamstress and I inherited her huge store of fabric and notions, including rick-rack. I am going to give these a try.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow, this is really cool! Super creative. Thanks so much for the tutorial, I'll be linking.

Chase Clark said...

This is great! Thanks so much for the tutorial, I will definitely find something to use this for!

Anne said...

I love this finish! When my daughter was little, she had a vintage romper with this finish down the side seams. I've always wanted to reproduce it in another garment. I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing: http://bitterbettyindustries.blogspot.com/2009/06/tutorial-tuesday-peek-boo-rick-rack.html
--Anne

Anonymous said...

WOW! I actually have a tablecloth out that I'm working on right now. And it needs a fancy trim. But not too fancy. And it's all vintage-y. And this is perfect!

Thanks for sharing!

(I think I used up my daily dose of exclamation points in this comment! I'm not usually this perky!!!!)
-Mandi!

Gwen said...

Love this idea! And your kitchen is very spiffy!

Péitseoga said...

great idea!w

Bridget said...

Absolute cuteness! Love this, and I love the way it could be used on a skirt or bodice! Nice kitchen, too, by the way!

Anonymous said...

It's so cool and fantastic. Great idea. Thanks for sharing it.


sam


Free Satellite TV

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...