Monday, August 20, 2007

Bye Bye Love


We lost the little kitten we had just adopted 3 weeks earlier to FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitus).. and it was hard and sad to have such a bad thing happen to such a sweet baby. We had quickly fallen into that "baby love" that these little critters so quickly inspire. He was chock full of kittenish delights, liking to sleep curled up under my chin, crying to be picked up and carried even if it meant clinging painfully to your shoulder as you went about your daily chores. Sadly what he had contracted had 100 percent mortality rate and he had a serious and fast moving case of it.

We had a hard time. I did some generalized carrying on, crying and sulking about "unfairness". Jacob asked his dad why God would do this to such a tiny baby, Robert being largely "not religious" had no answer. I guess I couldn't really give that one an answer until after Frank was so badly hurting that it was clearly time to take hime to the vet and let him go. Even then, I was so sad and reluctant that the nurse had to coax me a bit to make the decision I knew was coming.

I think I came to realize that I, personally, avoid dealing with things that are serious and I avoid dealing with death in any form when ever I can. I think that maybe having to deal with death as a part of life, with our dear pets, might be so that we have practice with grief and dealing the pain of something dear and so that we have practice letting go. This is not how I wanted to spend our summer vacation, but these things happen when they happen and that must be part of the lesson.

We actually lost him a week ago Friday but I wasn't sure I want to blog about such a sad subject when I would like to think people stop by here to check out craft, and all that..

Besides I was busy feeling sad and getting the swap fabrics sent out, (which was good for me since I could feel like I was able to get something done and holding up my responsibility as a good swap hostess). I am hearing that people are getting their packages and loving the fabrics that they got. Which, of course, makes me very happy.. just as each package of fabrics made me happy as I unwrapped it. I will blog about all that fun in another day or so.. and will share some sewing stuff too.. But today I am just here to say:

Bye Bye Frank.
You were a very sweet little friend and I will miss you.

(Amy and Angelina and.. I hope you find some peace with the health struggles of your furry friends. My thoughts are with you.)

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, i'm so sorry. he sounds like such a sweet little soul, and it is sad that your time with him was so brief. i'm sure that you and your family made his life, though short, a comfortable one full of love. sending peace to you and your family.

melissa said...

that is so very sad - i'm so sorry for your family's loss. at least you gave frank a good life while you could.

Anonymous said...

Poor Kitten. I know how sad this can be. Hugs to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the little kitten.

"We had a hard time. I did some generalized carrying on, crying and sulking about "unfairness". Jacob asked his dad why God would do this to such a tiny baby, "

CS Lewis' "Grief Observed" has a good discussion of this issue (e.g., why do bad things happen if there is a God). Also, Peter Kreeft (a philosopher) has some writing and free talks to download on this topic. It might help to read these over if you want to talk to Jacob about this.

Angelina said...

Poor baby Frank. I'm so sorry that Frank and all of you had to go through such a painful experience. I've been through the loss of pets my whole life and I do think it helps you deal with it better, the more you experience it the easier it is to put the experience in it's place where it belongs.

But it never really gets less sad.

As you know, our kitty has a terminal disease as well, but he could hang on for quite a while.

I really hope the rest of your summer is brighter and happier.

stuffed said...

So sorry. :0( My beautiful black cat of 8 years is currently dying of kidney disease. You're never alone, in losing pets, on the net.

Katie said...

So sorry for your loss. It never gets any easier does it.

Anonymous said...

Lindy sez: so sorry!

Deb G said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitten. Critters become a part of the family so very quickly and it's hard to say good-bye. I recently lost my cat too...

Blaize said...

Crap. Crap, crap, crap.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for you and your sweet baby. It's so hard to lose a pet no matter how long you've had him or her.
Being largely non-religious myself, I have a very hard time thinking and dealing with death myself. I try very hard not to think about it.
I'd like to believe we're all together in the end. Everyone and everything we've loved somehow together in some context we don't yet understand.
I know your kitty was very much loved and surely must have loved you as well.

PamKittyMorning said...

Soo sorry, for you and for poor Frank.

Chickenbells said...

Oh, I'm so sorry...I just lost an old pal last year, and it was so very sad. I don't know if it ever matters at what age they leave you, it seems so unfair. The only thing that makes me feel at peace is that I know Sweetie isn't hurting anymore...although we'll always miss him...

Anonymous said...

This is terrible news - I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Even though his life was short I'm sure it was full of happiness and hugs and kisses. Thinking of you, Cassi

Anonymous said...

oh, poor Frank. So sorry.

Daphne said...

Oh gosh. I can't think of anyone who doesn't try not to think about dying. Okay, there are morbid souls out there, and highly religious souls out there, but me, I don't like to think about dying one bit.

I'm sorry for your family's loss and struggle to deal with losing a sweet, loved little friend.

jungle dream pagoda said...

So sorry! We lost our almost 12 yr old kitty this past Feb. We also had to make the hard decision. I still can't bear the thought of a new kitty. My Elvis was irreplaceable.
I am super sorry for your Frank.

Sharon Sews said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved little kitten Frank. Such an adorable picture of him. It is so hard to lose our pets - they bound into our lives and our hearts so quickly and give so much to us while they're with us. I know you'll miss him and I know how sad you are feeling. Sending a big hug your way...

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your dear little kitten. They are precious and God gives them to us to show how unconditionally he loves us. Being able to ease their pain is the last great gift you can give your pets. It's very hard, I know. No matter how long we have them it is a blessing in our day to day lives. No matter how many pets I've had, it is still hard to say goodbye, but as you say it is part of this life. Most veterinary offices have a child's book on the death of a pet, or your library may carry it.

laura capello said...

oh man, i'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. What a lovely photo! Blessings. . .

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry...
When my cat passed away, I cried for a whole week. To make myself feel better, I actually found a children's book in our library -- Cat Heaven by Cynthia Rylant. My kids and I read together and it sort of cheered us up a little bit.
Hope you will feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Bethany, i am so sorry for your loss. :( Your little black kitty reminds me so much of my Piewacket when he was a baby, oh, how i miss him....and how much it hurts when out furbabies have to leave our lives.Making the the decision for the "big sleep" is so hard, but sometimes it's the most merciful gift you can give them. IT doesn't make it any easier on us, but i HAVE to believe that there is a special place where the spirits of our beloved kitties go to eat goblets of caviar and play with balls of golden yarn....

Sonya said...

Little Frank. I am so sorry Bethany.

barbe said...

oh, my heart breaks. I've been thru this a number of times, doing foster care. A huge hug to you.

Anonymous said...

How sorry I am for your loss.

We had a kitty die from FIP about 8 years ago, so I know what it is like.

Cats are special.

Unknown said...

I lost a kitten to FIP as well. It's a horrible, horrible thing to go through. Somehow I was lucky enough to have Eddy for several weeks even though he came to me very sick and only improved marginally. My biggest consolation was knowing that he died purring and happy to be loved.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...