Friday, March 11, 2011

Make Yourself A Box Pleat Skirt!

Well, I was just about beside myself with wanting 
a cute preppy big box pleat skirt...
so I made one.
 I just drafted the pattern myself.


This was not hard to do at all!
I already had a basic pattern for an A line skirt already drafted.
(If you want to see how to do that you can check out
Don't add in the 6 inches for overlap and boom.. basic A line pattern. )

Then I put in two inverted box pleats (Let Sally Stitch show you how!) 
about 8 inches apart and 2.5 inches deep.
Iron, pin the pleats closed at the bottom. 

Fold the rectangle in half and cut out the A line skirt front.
Trace a little facing and cut 2.
That is like the top  4 inches or so, of the skirt pattern.
An inner waistband for your skirt.



Then use the pattern to  cut out the back of the skirt.
Just a nice plain A line. 

No Pleats.

Add darts to make the back curve with you and the waist fit perfectly.
Then stitch the facing to the skirt (right sides facing, flip to the inside and press)
and hand stitch it to the inside at the zipper.


Wasn't That Easy?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg, you look so stinkin' cute!
I love everything about this outfit.
Beautiful
elise

Michelle said...

Oh! I love this! It is so cute, and then you give the instructions too! You're wonderful! You, and Sally Stitch of course.

Heidi said...

Jealous make me one!!! sewing machines run when they see me coming...

jen v said...

you are so flippin cute. the first picture is my favorite and made me smile on this wet and gray day in portland. happy weekend friend. SUPER CUTE skirt!!!

MissesStitches said...

Beautiful job! I'm in awe of anyone who can draft a clothing pattern...

Carolyn said...

This skirt is gorgeous! Of course I saw it on MMM first, and loved it there, but just had to pop over and read your full story...
And your first pictures is still one of my favourites on MMM11!

Rose@craftymcgee said...

This is excellent! I have decided that I'm sick of jeans, and will be wearing skirts and dresses all summer. I;m definitely making one of these!

She's Sew Slye said...

it's a beauty!

Anonymous said...

So cute!! Thanks for sharing it.
Janet

Stephanie said...

I found your blog via Craft! LOVING the box pleat skirt (AND the sewing comic strip... fantastic!), it looks absolutely adorable =D

Beth H said...

omg! sooo cute! i'm definitely gonna make one (or 2 or 3) of these skirts! thanks for the great instructions & links.

custom boxes said...

A good start for the year. All the best!

Jeans Manufacturers said...

Your outfit is really nice, you ae looking fabulous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...