Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thrift Thursday and Thank You Thursday two...

Howdy and welcome to another episode of Thrift Thursday, where I share my obsessive and potentially problematic junque habit with you...

Today: My Luggage Baggage

This week brings two new vintage suitcase acquisitions. The grey and the white lovelies in the photo below. The large blue suitcase is from a month ago. The gray was 2.00 and the blue and white were 3.00 each. All are non smelly which is very important as I do use my luggage as storage... and old suitcases can be quite offensive in the odor department. ( A few days in the bright sunshine wide open can eliminate this in some cases.. and Febreze can occasionally be helpful. But some are truly just Beyond Hope.




I also have all my older luggage which I have been collecting for 20 years now.
(yipes...there's a number for you!)



Another angle?




This one was a present from a friend who came to visit me during our brief adventure living in lovely Portland, O....



I love how it is mended with staples and bailing wire... Like someone escaped hard times with just the contents of this case. And when it started to fail, mending was the only option. A nice strong reminder in our disposable society, when things get tough you can always make do with what you already have.





and as an added bonus I got a great enamel bowl (.99 cents) which I have used for the world's prettiest compost scrap bowl, until I get a little "lead checker" thing.
I have my suspicions.
And I am losing brain cells fast enough without with any help from toxins.

And Now The Thanks Portion!
Thanks to the lovely Marilyn of Pulp Sushi who showed all my pictures of the stuff on my walls .. and to all the great people who left comments there. Yeah! How cool to get such nice feedback.

And Super Thanks to Sew Mama Sew who posted their interview with Me this week. Thanks to anyone who wandered over from there. Welcome and leave a little breadcrumb trail in my comments so I can come and visit you!

Tune In Tomorrow,
for New Vintage Wackiness!!!
( I kid you not!)

13 comments:

Sonya said...

Showing off all your vintage suitcase finery. Just parading it in front of me. I have one. I had another - of the smelly variety. I want a tower - Just. Like. Yours.

Unknown said...

I came over from sew,mama,sew and must say, I love your blog. :D Vintage suitcases are the best, and I really love your tower. Very cool.

Maria Stahl said...

I love the Samsonite faux alligator you have sneaked so cleverly into the pile. I have a whole set of them. :o)

Hyena In Petticoats said...

I have a tower of my own, and matching bright red suitcase and beauty case, both for $5, but I love your tower better than mine!

What is it about the luggage? I can't leave it behind - I'm the same with typewriters too....

Right now though, what I really want is some hatboxes.... mmmmmmm


Leah xxx

ps: I love those sculpted books you have on the wall in the other post - did you make those yourself? gorgeous! xxx

Anonymous said...

I am a blogless wanderer from SMS, who was so inspired by your blog, I immediately drafted a reversable Skirt pattern. Thanks for the inspiration. Maybe one day I will get brave enough to blog. Happy Sewing.

Luxe. said...

You have the most beautiful collection of luggage! wow! I adore your blog its wonderfull, I'm adding you to my blogroll.

Gwen said...

Hi Betty,
I am so excited about the smock pattern! That looks exactly like the apron pattern my grandmother used, I loved that apron, but...ahem, it no longer fits. If I had a pattern, I could figure out how to make one that does.

great interview, and you look so cute in the smock!

Threads of Inspiration said...

I love the tower of suitcases. Yours is the second blog (of two) that I've looked at this morning about great finds in the "junk" world. I think it might be a message on how to spend the rest of my day.
Susan

julie (jane's apron) said...

3 things...great suitcases, love your interview, can't wait to see your new dress!

Read Teach Sew said...

I was so glad to read your Sew Mama interview! I'm really enjoying your posts.

Angelina said...

One of the few things I was sorry to lose in our attic fire was my trusty old vintage suitcase which had gone to Scotland and Israel with me. It was the perfect size. If it didn't fit in there, I didn't need to bring it.

Anonymous said...

For smelly vintage suitcases, try putting kitty litter in them - the clay kind, not the clumping kind. Close them up and let sit for a few days. Then dump the litter and vacuum out any dust. It "absorbs" odor very well.

Brenda Williams said...

I logged on to leave the kitty litter hint, but see that zebgue beat me to it; it works really well. My daughter used to deal in used books and would close smelly ones up in a plastic container of kitty litter to deodorize them. Also, I bought a used car a few months ago that had belonged to a friends recently deceased husband; problem was, he was a heavy smoker. I sprayed all the upholstery with Odo-Ban (grocery store) and then put open containers of fresh coffee beans in the cup holders. In a couple of days no more offensive smoke odor, plus my car smelled like fresh ground coffee.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...