Friday, January 16, 2009

January Is The Monday Of The Year


Well, my blog reliability must be bad because people have started emailing to see if I am okay.
Sorry everyone. I'm okay. I'm not depressed, or quitting blogging, or anything. I'm just really, really boring, and I have been reluctant to share this unbelievably dull side of my personality with you all.
My muse, while she hasn't deserted me, she has been terribly busy trying to stay on top of the laundry, lose the 6 pounds that I gained and eradicate the enormous drifts of pet fur that have become the main focus of my day. (Quite frankly, it's astounding to me that all the animals aren't completely bald at this point.)

I have been doing the necessary. Last year ended up being very productive and that also meant that it ended with a remarkable number of unfinished projects as well as finished ones. So one thing I have been up to, is sorting through that quagmire and finishing what I can.I'm trying to get my self psyched up to finish the ones that will take more than 45 minutes, and failing. My Mojo...Where Has It Gone? Into the shallow end of homemaking. In all truth, I simply don't want to start any big projects because I finally got the mess from the holidays picked up.

How dull am I? I have a chore chart that I actually fill out for myself. I quite often vacuum more than once a day. Lately, I drop off more at the thrift store than I buy. Today, I mucked out the most disgusting previously frozen slimy leaf goop from a few areas in the old garden. Doing that, and installing some of those slider shelves in the "snack cabinet" in the kitchen were pretty much the highlights of the whole day. I've read a couple of novels lately, and they were only kinda good. Good enough to finish, but not good enough to recommend.

I am doing that new year reflective thing, where I ask myself where I am going with this bloggy thing, and my crafty thing, and my housewifey thing... Because I like to play this game with myself where I make plans, set goals and then let the winds of life toss me about like one of those crazy, flying, plastic bags. I don't know why I do that, but I always do.



In that vein, I've already started making plans to be done early with my holiday presents again. And I'm clearing out the junk. Still trying to live up to last years resolution. Hopefully I'll get my groove back and unleash the chaos and craftiness, off on to some odd tangent again real soon, or maybe all that is behind me and it's just tidy, organized and dull from here on out. (At which point, I really will have to reconsider blogging all together, because otherwise I could find myself brought up on charges for boring my internet friends to death.)

I just have to remind myself January is sometimes full of extra time and energy and the promise of a year of adventure... But sometimes January is just the Monday of the year, and it's hard to jump up and get going. But Mondays never last forever.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you - my January has been off to a slow start too - if you figured out how to get that groove, let me know!

Blaize said...

Your cat ate your sewing machine. That's all you need to say.

kristin said...

so this is your boring? it's all good stuff here...mondays through sundays.

Julie H said...

I love your little helper!

Anonymous said...

Wow... pretty cool the way your cat flosses his own teeth! How the heck did you get that shot?? Maybe your Muse needs a little field trip with mine?? Lindy

sulu-design said...

Amen to all of this. I, too, have already gotten to thinking about the handmade holidays of 2009. I figured that since I've been so inspired by seeing what people made for 2008, and since I've got some idle time on my hands, I should start now. Should. But who knows. January, for me, is all about that kind of thinking often followed by inaction...

Deb Robertson Writes said...

Dull is good, bring on dull... it helps the rest of us feel a whole heap better.

Maddie Kertay- The Domestic Anarchist said...

Dull or not.. I still think you are pretty dang cool.. I only worry a bit about what that says about me ;-)

Maddie

Anonymous said...

Oh, Bitter Betty you are not dull. It's just the let down from the frantic holiday hype that makes the everyday seem so lackluster. When I first discovered your blog I read all your previous posts until May of 2007 in one sitting. I started dolling out reading the rest because it's so much fun I want it to last. I have found you to be inspirational, funny and relatable...never boring. Don't feel you owe us excitement or apologies. That's when blogging becomes a chore not a pleasure. Write from your heart. Your fans will always be here.

Angelina said...

I kind of want to object to January being the monday of the year because January is MY month and my favorite one...but I can't object because it's true.

I'm off to a slow start too. I think we have to have these periods of relative quiet so that we can be properly ready when the inspiration comes to handle it with aplomb.

Anonymous said...

Oh, look at that naughty kitty! My cats help me with everything, except sewing, thank goodness. One of them is trying to leave her two cents worth of comment right now. jjjjjjjjkklllllllllll
(Gracie says hi)

And you are never, ever boring!

Mari said...

That title is so true! Well said.

Jennifer said...

I wonder if I can say this right: I had a conversation with someone today, and we found that we both agreed that there's a role organization plays in creativity, EVEN when it's just thinking about getting organized and not actually doing it. And, that having bouts of time that are all about real or theoretical organization are what make creativity, creative times, possible. I can't quite squint at these lines I've written and tell if they make sense or not -- the spoken words made sense (or at least we both kept nodding and smiling at each other as we spoke and it felt good).

The other thing I'll say is that what I love about calendars, and time keeping, and beginnings, is that there is ALWAYS another one right around the corner. Sure, there's the whole aura around Jan. 1 and that start of that new year, but there are a zillion points at which you can start the count over again, start new, begin again.

Plus, we all need to know that you've got the whole housework/mojo-killer thing to contend with, just like we do.

Love,
Jennifer

The Coffee Lady said...

It's winter; we're resting. We're like bulbs.

Sonya said...

First things first - what a beautifully written post. And never fear, January is almost over. I think what you need is a little Fungus Rx. Scoot on over to my blog to join in on the fun.

Nur said...

Absolutely loved your blog..
Very inspiring.

Cheers from Singapore
;)

Bridget said...

"The Monday of the year" That's so perfect - it's been that way for me, too - finishing things up, reorganizing the office, getting stalled projects moving again, and starting a new job. That definitely qualifies as a Monday!

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's good to know that I'm not alone and that you are OK! And Perfect: January is the Monday of the year"

Mary-Laure said...

January is the Monday of the year: SO TRUE

Enchanting kitty kat...

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Excellent post... couldn't agree more.
Cute pics!!

Happy Monday!

Lopi said...

No worries!
I'm about to take a break too, due to final thesis duties...
We readers will be here when spring kicks in.

Anonymous said...

checking back daily for a new post. I miss keeping up on your life via your blog :) I might have to pick up the phone more often now to get an update. Miss you guys!
Love, Val

Stephanie said...

I hate mondays...oh and Januarys, too cold. p.s. I have nominated you for The Lemonade Award. Grab your award on my blog.. http://compulsivecrafter.blogspot.com/ <3

fairiemoon said...

I love your ruminations here! I, too, often have to reflect on the bloggy, crafty, housewifey thing...in fact, I am doing that very thing right now. Glad to know that I am not alone in feeling the drift.

I wish I could see more of the New Academy of Sciences...We used to live there and visit every weekend when my 12 year old was little. Now we live in the cold NE. Poo.

Erin :)
http://www.fairiemoon.typepad.com/fairiemoom/

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with your designation of January as the Monday of the year--especially given that it took me until February to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...